Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Podcasts for the New Year

I remember one time I was talking to a person about the Christian faith.  This person, for all intents and purposes, knew only the basics of its contents.  I mentioned how important it is to study and learn more about it.  She helplessly replied, "How?  No one ever told me how!"

One fairly straightforward way of doing this, of course, is to read the Bible alongside the Catechism.  But for people on the move - folks who don't have the time to study two large tomes - other options may be desired.

So perhaps for your New Year's resolution, you want to learn more about the Catholic faith.  Today I wanted to share my favorite podcasts.  Each day I put a few on my MP3 player to listen to on my way to work, and whenever I'm sitting at my computer.


Daily and Weekly Shows:

The first one is probably the most obvious; Catholic Answers Live.  Each day they post two hours of programming.  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday they typically have a specific topic.  Tuesday and Thursday are open forums for all questions.

The next one is Weekly Podcast from Reasonable Faith.  This is a radio show, typically running about 20 minutes, is put on by famous Evangelical apologist William Lane Craige.  

Alongside Catholic Answers is its EWTN equivalent known as Open Line.  Each day of the week has a different host.  I'd recommend the ones hosted by Fr. Mitch Pakwa, Tom Nash, and Colin Donavan.

On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays a Catholic convert named Dr. David Anders has a radio show named Called to Communion.  Dr. Anders was a doctoral graduate who studied Reformation history and the works of Calvin and Luther.  He was intent on disproving the false and heretical Roman Catholic faith and leading people out of it until his studies forced him to reconsider.  Now he hosts a radio show in which he reaches out to non-Catholics saying, "Do what I did."

Mark Shae is probably one of the frustrating men on the planet.  His blog is a toilet in which he deposits all manner of snide invective against everyone he disagrees with.  But whenever the man is on the radio, he comes off as the most genial and gentle person in existence.  So I recommend his show, even if I'd warn you against his blog... unless you want to pull your hair.

Each week, former Presbyterian pastor Marcus Grodi hosts an interview with a Catholic convert from all manner of backgrounds.  This show is called the Journey Home.  Many people have no idea why anyone would wish to join the Church, and this is a good show for answering that question.

Lastly, if you want to hear some experts in Scripture talking about its content and how to study it, I'd recommend the podcast given by Doctor Michael Barber at The Sacred Page.


Talk Radio: 

Each day Al Kresta hosts a talk radio show which discusses all manner of different topics.

There is also a Lutheran talk radio show called Issues Ect which takes on weighty issues with a straightforwardness I find impressive.  That said, their treatment the Catholic faith whenever they discuss it is... shall we say... unrepresentative.


Daily Homilies:

In addition to all of those topical radio shows, one may also be interested in reflections and homilies on the daily readings at mass.

The first place I'd sent you are the Friars of the Immaculate.  They are profoundly boring, so if you have a stomach for dryness, I'd recommend Fr. Joachim, Fr. Matthias, and Fr Elias.

Next I'd recommend Father Al Lauer.  All I can say is this; What he lacks in coherence, he makes up for in sheer enthusiasm.

Last but not least, the reflections of Sister Ann Shields.

So for anyone looking to plumb the depths of an inexhaustible wealth of audio goodness, I'd challenge you to absorb these resources in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment