Thursday, January 18, 2018

If I was Pres. Trump's Speechwriter...


I learned earlier today that President Trump (still feels surreal to write that) will be addressing the March for Life.  

What might he say?  Or perhaps… if I was one of his speechwriters, what would I put in front of him? 

It would need to be heartfelt, honest, compassionate, and still retain a good bit of polemical zing.  And - let's face it - the thing would need to be a bit self-congratulatory to sound genuine. 

So here’s what I’d float across President Trump’s desk:


Hello Marchers! 
This is the first time a sitting president has addressed the March for Life. It's also my first time being involved in one.  
It’s no secret that I haven’t been always been Pro-Life.  And during the election certain parties dug up statements from my past and accused me of giving you lip service - saying I was a phony.   
But I - like so many others - had never really thought through the ethical implications of abortion until my candidacy forced me to.  When I finally did, the truth became obvious.  I have children, and I knew that they were every bit as human before they were born as after. If that's true for them, it's true for everyone else too.  This truth is apparent to anyone willing to confront it.  And in a day of 3D ultrasounds and prenatal surgery, no one has an excuse. 
So I am grateful to come into the Pro-Life movement and find it strong and young and patriotic.  To find it willing – after all this time – to continue braving the cold to remind America that the great project of human rights must include the most helpless among us. 
You are the high-schoolers and college students who are taking time off school to travel in a crowded bus.  Thank you.  
You are the organizers who have stayed up sleepless nights trying to get everyone here safely.  Thank you as well.   
You are the sidewalk councilors who gently offer women a better way, despite the partisans who are trying to get courts to throw you in jail.  You may never know what becomes of the children who survive because of your efforts.  But on their behalf I thank you. 
You are the single mothers who kept your children even in the face of dire hardships.  Your perseverance should be a source of pride and an example to others. 
You are the adoptive parents and foster parents, whose generosity gives hope to so many. 
 You are the volunteers at crisis pregnancy centers, whose facilities are constantly being persecuted by Progressive legislatures.  You return home after a long day of caring for these women and kids... and you get online.  Then you are greeted by a some pro-abortion phony who won’t lift a finger for these kids, but will lift fingers to tell you that you don’t really care about babies after they're born.     
Well I say 'thank you'.  I am proud to finally be one of you.  It is my desire to foster an environment in this great country where you have the freedom to spread the facts and follow your conscience.  I want to be on your side as we realize the truth that we are all endowed by our Creator with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 




No comments:

Post a Comment